My kids call this broccoli and stilton “green cheese” soup, it’s their favourite and they have absolutely no idea where the green colouring comes from! For the last batch I used about 400g broccoli, then made up the rest of the weight in Brussel sprouts and spinach, but vary the mix to what you have in abundance.
- Knob of coconut oil or butter
- 1 onion or leek, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crsuhed or finely chopped
- 600g chopped broccoli or other cruciferous veg
- 1 l stock (veg or chicken)
- 2 bay leaves
- 160g stilton cheese, roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper to season
- Heat the oil then fry the onion/leek and garlic for 2-3 minutes on a low heat so that they don’t burn (they should just go soft and translucent)
- Add the chopped veg, stock, bay leaves, cheese and salt and pepper, bring the boil, cover and simmer for approx. 20-30m minutes until the broccoli is cooked through and tender. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves, then blitz to a smooth consistency in a food processor (in batches) or with a stick blender (careful, it is hot!), and serve with some crusty bread.