I have had a “best baked beans” recipe for a long time now, but every time I make it, I tweak it – anyone else do that? Now that we’ve been a couple of months sans-Heinz over in rural northern Sweden I have had plenty of practice and plenty of tweaks and boy, is this THE recipe I have for you now!!!
If you think you don’t have time to make beans and that they couldn’t possible stand up to the comparison of your favourite can – think again, I promise you will not be disappointed 😉
- Little olive oil for frying
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed / finely chopped
- 2 rashers of streaky bacon (optional, but highly recommended)
- Pinch ground cumin
- Pinch ground coriander
- 250 mls tomato passata
- 1 400g tin cannellini beans (or 100g dried beans soaked overnight then boiled for approx. 90 mins until cooked)
- Gently fry the onions and garlic in a little oil for 2-3 minutes on a medium temperature, stirring so they don’t burn, then add the bacon (if using) and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until it’s all cooked through
- Add the passata, coriander and cumin and bring to the boil before adding the beans.
- Cook through for 10 minutes or so until everything is piping hot.
What are your cupboard staples that could use a tasty and healthy makeover?